Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Pink Triathlon


Well, on Saturday I and some clients headed out to tackle our first triathlon, as a relay team. I had originally intended it as a 'goal' to work towards for three of my clients, with each of them responsible for one leg of the relay. However, the person I had chosen for the run leg couldn't do it, so...I had to. That was when I tore my calf muscle, and all I could think was...hmmm... how do I run with a torn calf muscle?

Still, I somehow rehabbed it super quick - thanks to my trusty hubble bubble toil and trouble witchery.. I made a clay poultice.. it healed in three weeks... This tear wasn't like the last time I tore the other calf muscle (avoiding a wave on the beach lol). This one floored me... I actually thought I was going to pass out from the pain. Such a loud snapping noise too. BUT.. whatever I did (instant ice, compression, elevation & poultice) seemed to work!! Then I put some little heel lifts in my running shoes to take the pressure off and that worked too. Although one day as some mats started to fly away in the park I went to sprint after them and forgot that I was crippled, which set me back again!

But I digress... Pink Triathlon... now, as you know from my lack of running ability I am as slow as a wet Sunday when it comes to running...and it's not something I derive much joy from. I struggle mentally with it. I would love to enjoy it. But I don't.

So I did the run of 3km in just a little over 20 minutes, which is what I had anticipated - I was pretty sure I was a 7min/km runner and .. I was right. We all finished in 53.14 for a 300m swim, 9km bike ride & 3km run, which I think was pretty good for our first ever go. We also raised $780 for breast cancer research in the process.

It's definitely one that will be a regular on our training calendar :-)

1 comment:

Kristy said...

Great job Caroline. I was hoping the Pink Triathlons would come to Adelaide, but we missed out again this year. Fingers crossed for next year.

Also great job on you all raising money for Breast Cancer