Monday, October 01, 2007

Unethical behaviour

I rang our ridgeback breeder on Friday to see how 'our' little boy was going and to organise pickup for next weekend. I was abruptly spoken to, and asked 'had I not received her letter?', to which I replied 'no'.. she then informed me that she had bad news, that she had decided to keep the puppy and she had returned our deposit moneys in this letter.
Now, if this is how registered breeders treat people, then they certainly give backyard breeders a better name...
I was so upset. I emailed another breeder who had said she was mating her bitch just around the time we had been offered our pup. This other breeder said she wasn't surprised as the breeder had done the same thing to her 6 years ago, so she said obviously nothing much has changed in that time!!!
I think I'll report her to the kennel council for this - it really is not on - to take a deposit and allow someone to travel 8 hours visiting the puppy in the belief they would be taking this puppy home in 8 weeks is just inexcusable.
Grrrrrrrrr.

3 comments:

Kristy said...

That really sucks and doesn't seem right at all. Hope u sort something out.

Sienna said...

Too many people shrug their shoulders, and say there isn't much they can do. I would go through with following this up for sure. Totally not good enough.

Jadey said...

Aww babe that sucks so bad. Definitely report them and demand she repay costs for your travel etc.

That's so wrong! When you go through a reg'd breeder you expect them to have ethics!

Your best bet will be to get involved in the ridgeback club and see who's who and whats what from there. You can get a really good "taste" for people from that.