Thursday, October 09, 2008

I'm in shock

I went up to ride my horse last night. Saddled up, lunged (he needs a lot of pre-work before you get on) all was good. Hopped on him, all was good. The girl from next door was over riding a pony of hers, and then she came up into the arena. The minute she walked into the arena on that pony, a change came over my horse. He suddenly got really tense and got 'antsy'. She commented he looked like he had the shits, I said, only since you arrived (it was true!). Anyhow, she left to go home - and the minute she started to leave - Kado lost it big time. He started leaping around like an idiot then he did something he has never done in the 10 years that i have had him - he reared up completely on his hind legs - which frightened me somewhat.. especially since he had never done that before my first thought was *shit, he's going to flip over if he goes up any more* my second thought was *which is my best escape route before that happens* somehow I managed to half fall, half launch myself off his back and land feet first on the arena sand. On the way down I must have sliced the side of my nail bed deeply on the rein buckle. Noice. Bloody. Noice.
Once I got up and realised I was okay (very surprisingly) aside from the bloody finger, I thought, SHIT that means I have to get back on again.
So I hopped back on and he was just like his normal self (the mare had completely disappeared by this time).
Of course, whenever I go home after a ride, my husband's standard question is, so, how was your ride, did you fall off? BUT every time I do fall off, he never asks!! how bizarre is that. So I had to say, okay, ask me the usual question...and he of course knew then that I had fallen off!

Horses.. they like wounding your pride ;-)


Still, I dragged myself out of bed at 5.30 this morning and managed run 2 of the wk 3 couch to 5k program. I suspect the third run will fall into Monday of next week, so I'm going to be slightly out of whack, but I really want to get stuck into my new 'kettlebell' DVD tomorrow...then Sunday is a day of rest & riding.

No comments: